Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Eat the Icecream Before it Melts!

So something pretty crazy happened tonight. It's one of those things that you are glad turned out the way it did but at the same time feel silly that you made such a big deal out of it before you found out what it was. I was sitting on the couch and I heard crackling coming from the kitchen, like some sort of electrical short or something. Mom was in her room opening another package of diapers for Tato. I called in there, "Mom, I think I heard a crackling from the kitchen. Like an electrical sound." Mom called back, "Are you sure it wasn't just me opening the package of diapers." Mom says funny things like that from time to time. Things that make no sense. In what way does an electrical crackling coming from the kitchen sound like a package of diapers being opened from a room on the opposite side of the apartment. (Permission was given to me by mom to make fun of her a little). Anyways, she went to check the kitchen and she said, "Yeah there must be something going on in here cause I smell smoke." So I went in there and smoke started pouring out from behind the fridge. "What should I do!" I asked, "should I call 911?" But mom was half way out the door with the baby already. So I called 911 which is a little intimidating because if it's nothing you don't want to be the idiot that called 911 but if it's something you don't want to be the idiot who let their apartment burn down. Well, long story short, 3 fire trucks, an ambulance, 2 police cars and everyone who lives in a 3 mile radius showed up to see what turned out to be a broken fridge. I'll post a picture of the fridge because I of course didn't think to take pictures while all the commotion was happening.

4 comments:

Jessica Christensen said...

So what happened? Did the firemen come, check out your fridge, and then just leave or what? I don't feel that I have enough information about the resolution of this. Glad everyone's okay. LOL about mom running out the door with Violet.

Jill said...

So did something in the fridge short out? Did the landlord get you a new one yet? I can imagine you had quite a crowd with all those emergency vehicles, they probably wouldn't have liked it if you started snapping pictures though.

Lisa said...

That's funny... With that neighborhood, I bet you had quite the turnout for your event. If it makes you feel any better, I called the police at 5 in the morning a couple weeks ago for what turned out to be some raccoons on the roof.

Terry and Alice said...

The firemen checked the wall with some sort of heat seeking machine and then they just aired out our apartment with a big industrial size fan. Our landlords brought us a new fridge this morning, so everything turned out ok!